Friday 11 November 2011

Dirty word




It always boggles my mind when women refuse to identify with the word 'feminist,' as if to claim it would surely mean the end of herself. As if being a feminist would denigrate the very concept of femininity. As if it would mean giving up held doors and chairs, sacrificing free drinks, and bras.

I AM a feminist because I believe a woman should not be earning 75 cents to a man's dollar.
I AM a feminist because rape victims should not have to relive her attack in trial.
I AM a feminist because I should have my cake and eat the damn thing, too. Counting calories is lame.
I AM a feminist because I believe, someday, I might have a son. No son of mine will ever come to expect, assume, and demand supremacy simply because he has a penis.
I AM a feminist because there are still such things as female infanticide and genital mutilation.
I AM a feminist because I love women just as much as I love men, I love stiletto just as I love watching a bloody brawl, and I love lace as much as I love sweats. I should not have to choose.

So yeah, I like my doors held, my drinks free, and my breasts perky
...but I can open my own doors, buy my own drinks, and my breasts will still be perky.

I am a feminist because I am human.

No comments:

Post a Comment