Thursday 7 April 2011

We are afraid of the wrong things

We all afraid of the wrong things and I am sure most people do. I am afraid of the dark, I have always been afraid of the dark, I’m absolutely terrified of the dark, ever since i was younger till now. I remember I used to sleep with my sheet covering my face with this small hole for me to breathe, It’s totally irrational, and I’ll just flip out if I’m by myself in the dark for even a couple of  moments. I don’t feel bothered by it as in I see no need to have a psychologist or whatever ,it’s not as if it hinders me except for an occasional loss of sleep, but there’s always tea in the morning to make up for that. It’s kind of bred into people, I think, since there really used to be reasons to be afraid of the night some people can ‘rationally’ overcome it, but for those of us who don’t… well, it’s just a question of degree. But yeah, you’re not alone! I wouldn’t worry about it. I can’t even sleep at night with the light switched off.

I think fear of the dark makes sense evolutionarily – the dark is the unknown, and if you’re in a wild place outside in the dark, there could be predators, or who knows what else. So human survival would have been aided by an instinctual fear of dark spaces.
Just like with a lot of other psychological things, fear of the dark is only a problem if it interferes significantly with your daily life.

No comments:

Post a Comment