Thursday 7 April 2011

What is the colour of the wind

 I remember when i was young at school our teacher used to ask us the colour of the wind, Some said, wind doesn't have a color. And others used to say “Wind has a colour” which is colourless and the teacher would laugh at us and say, we just said it our self that the wind is colourless which means it has no colour so why do we say the is a colour then and we used to be confused by that, and then as i grow older and older I realise that my teacher was right.

I even asked my older brother when I got home after school and he said “the wind doesn't have a colour, because the light molecules travel through it.
And I couldn’t believe it when my brother said and i ended up confirming to mother and she elaborate more on what my brother said, she started telling me by saying to me, Wind is the movement of air molecules. Can air molecules have color? If they have color can they have more than one color? Air molecules are colorless. However, air often has other molecules mixed in it (e.g. smoke). These other molecules often have 'color'. Thus, they impart a color to the mixture of air and smoke. If this mixture is 'blowing in the wind', then the air may be perceived to have color.

No comments:

Post a Comment